Monday, January 16, 2012

(Some of) the Beast Process!

Hellooo! A couple weeks ago, the lovely Victoria asked me to take pictures of the process of making a beast. So I attempted to document the process with pictures, and (mostly) succeeded in not forgetting to take photos at each step. Here it is, the making of Skrigby Specklerolf!
Usually I start out with a sketch, like this ridiculous thing above. Can you imagine an entire moleskine full of these plump beasts? Instant perma-grin. Anyway, this is the first sketch of Skrigby, before I decided he was going to be a Horror.
Then I sketch the shapes I think I'll need on to my fabric (lightly!) and cut them out. I freehand everything, because I'm sure that if I made a pattern that 1) I would certainly lose it and 2) I like all the beasts to be completely one-of-a-kind so if their bodies turn out all a little differently, that's a GOOD thing.
By this point, my (all) black wardrobe is covered in fur. This is a common occurrence my life. Thank the ancient ones for lint rollers.
After all the parts are cut out, I sew all the parts together! Then I turn all the parts that need to be added to the main body inside out, which is why the legs and tail look furry and the body does not. So I forgot to take pictures of the next couple steps, so immersed in the Monstering Zone was I. After the parts are sewn up, I cut leg-holes and in this case a tail-hole in the body, and individually sew all the parts on. Then, I turn the whole thing right-side out, and stuff the head so I can gauge where to place the facial features. Then I attach all the eyes... more often than not they've had more than two this year. Then I stuff the whole beast, usually pulling it out and re-stuffing it a few times so that it's the perfect firmness. I am a very picky about every detail of the beasts, but especially how huggable they are. They have to pass a few hug tests before they get their finishing seam on the butt. After they're all sewn up, I do any finishing details like teeth or any stitches I need to sculpt the face / body. Then the beasts get a good brushing to smooth their fur.
Guess what Skrigby- it's freckle time.
After freckles, he gets one more brushing and is done! At this point, I hand him over to the Prince for a little bit so he can name him. And that's how I make beasts. Mostly! They're all different, but that's the basic process. As soon as Hagatha lets me photograph her doing the awakening ritual, you can see that too! xx The Beast Peddler

No comments:

Post a Comment